App required:- FtF Safety Car App (134 downloads)
We are ONLY interested in the Safety Car aspects of this app, all the other features – VSC, penalties etc – are to be ignored. Essentially, the app is a tool for us to get the messages to the drivers.
The procedure will be as follows:-
- In the event of a BAD incident involving several cars or other circumstance (to be agreed) that leaves at least 2 cars temporarily disabled, the Safety Car procedure will be initiated:-
- The Safety Car will leave the pitlane SLOWLY and issue the command “Pace Car On track” (Audio:- “The Pace car, the pace car, don’t pass, don’t pass”).
- At this point it should be treated as a yellow flag, with no overtaking allowed and no more driving at full blast.
- However, all cars APART FROM THE RACE LEADER may carefully go past the Safety Car until the race leader has caught the Safety Car up. ** Note, the race leader may have pitted, so check you’re not the one in the lead before passing.
- Once the race leader is behind the Safety Car, no-one is allowed to pass him and a queue will naturally start to form.
- The Safety car will now speed up.
- Cars should straddle the track left-right, left-right and WITHOUT WEAVING (same for all of us) to avoid unnecessary collisions.
- On the following lap, the Safety Car will announce “Pace car PITS THIS LAP” (“Audio:- The pace car is pitting now, the pace car is pitting now”).
- He will do this twice, once early in the lap and once towards the final sector.
- At this point the leader can start to back us up, but NOT “Niko Rosberg style” backing-up, he should maintain a speed of at least 80kph/50mph (again to avoid collisions). At the same time he should give the Safety Car enough time to reach the pitlane before racing recommences.
- After the final corner, racing can commence again and overtaking is allowed once more. Safety Car will issue a “Go-go-go”, but this doesn’t mean you can overtake until you have rounded the last corner.
- You must NOT use DRS for 1 lap after the Safety Car has pitted.